Working from home can be a blessing for many but there are many disadvantages also. Many people think that they can have a successful home based business while watching their kids at the same time. This can make for long and challenging days filled with many interruptions. Some days, they might play well and you can get a lot done. However, there are going to be days that you feel like you don’t get one business item done.
So, what can you do with your children?
- If your children are little, utilize nap times. As soon as you lay them down, be prepared to start working on your business.
- When your children are in school, savor the quiet time and work hard to get things done.
- Have a game plan. Know what needs to be done BEFORE you sit down. That way, if you get a few minutes here and there, you can work instead of deciding what needs to be done.
- Hire a mother’s helper. Sometimes it would be helpful if you just had someone to get drinks for the kids or to make dinner. There is nothing wrong with getting a little help so that you can settle down and make some money.
- Have special toys that you only get out when you absolutely can’t be interrupted. Often, children get bored with the same toys that they always play with. New toys tend to occupy them for a little longer. However, you do not have to spend a lot of money. Dollar stores are filled with lots of cheap toys.
- Use tools so that you can work wherever you go. Get a tablet or a laptop with a good battery so that you can work while your kids play outside or at the park.
- Utilize quiet times. There is nothing wrong with letting your children watch a little television when you really need to get some work done. You may also decide to have quiet time where they need to play in their rooms and not bug you.
- Savor the times that you do spend with you children. Be sure to live in the moment and spend quality time with your children.
Balancing a family and business at home can be challenging but it is well worth it. It is important to have a game plan so that when you have time to work, you know exactly what you want to do. You should also use nap and school time to the best of your ability. Though, you should spend plenty of time with your children. After all, they are probably the reason that you work from home!
Contact us for more information about personal and business development.
About Matt Schoenherr
Matt is a husband, father of four, marketing consultant and founder of Marketing Ideas 101. As a student, teacher and published author, Matt supports the worthy goals of service and commerce in the small business and nonprofit communities. You may find him on Google+, Twitter and Facebook. Creative marketing ideas and marketing strategies may be found at MarketingIdeas101.com.