Everything in our environment has been designed and built with the psychology of the consumers. We don’t realize the psychology of branding but the office lights emit a cool-colored light because they make people more alert than other lights. If the walls and other interior elements are blue, then it might not be an aesthetic choice. The blue color has been linked with imagination.
So, the brand you interact with daily is designed on the psychology of the consumers. If you study psychology, you will get to know that everything we do such as making decisions or choices or actions is all based on science. Psychology is not an abstract connect but it can be integrated into branding. This is why people in the 21st century are provided with a lot of options because of the psychology of branding.
The Psychology of Branding
The overwhelming number of options has led us to increased brand loyalty. The customers now rather stick with what has been proven to work than risking a new one. Hence leading to potentially a disappointing alternative. As a result, you can implement psychology in your business. It will make sure that the customers will keep coming back to you rather than the competitive brand.
Core Components of Psychology of Branding
The first and most critical step in brand psychology is to meet the needs of a customer. It can be a minefield. With the dynamic changing world, the customers are becoming more demanding. It was a time when simply reacting to the customer’s expectations and requests are no longer enough. Now, it is the time where the brand anticipates the wants and needs of the customers.
To meet the needs of the customers, you can create a profile for both your business offering and customer base. Firstly, you need to consider this thing that why the customer is contacting you in the first place. He/she might have other options but still chose you. It means you are offering a product or service that is valuable to the customers. Also, because your product or service is essential in their daily lives.
It is the reason that a customer pays for your product or services. When it is a tough economic time, every penny counts. It means that you are doing something for their customers. To build the offering, you can continue to meet the basic requirements and check in with your customers regularly for feedback. It will help you to understand the psychology of your customers.
In the business world, if you are stagnant, then your competitor will win your customer over competitive advantage. They are always looking for ways to improve their business to meet the success just as you. So, keep on working on the psychology of the brand to attract more customers.
If you want to truly hold the customer’s mind and heart, then you will have to provide more than good service. Also, you have to forge an emotional connection between your brand and the customer. The relationship between the brand and the consumer is no different from a marriage. If you become complacent and you stop paying attention to your customers, then their eyes will start to wander.
By creating an emotional connection with your customers, you can make them brand ambassadors. Consumers can be persuaded to connect with a brand the same way they do with their favorite music or sports team. It is all about making the customer feel that it is important and they are part of your offering. For example:
- You can send greeting by email or post on the customer’s birthday
- Build your brand around the core values of the business with emotional impacts such as green credentials or superior customer service
- Personalize your communications by interacting with customers daily. Don’t be afraid to add a little humor to your social media presence
- You can say thank you to the customers for showing brand loyalty. Also, you can potentially offer them a discount or bonus on the anniversary of your brand or after large purchases
Try not to put off the customer while being too cloying. Also, try not to put a barrier between your brand and customers because it will make them feel like cash cows. You must remind your customers that there is a hard-working team behind their favorite products and brands. It will encourage them to invest in your success. Hence, more cash inflows.
Power Of Color
When you are building your brand, the psychology of color can never be left out or underestimated. The choice of color impacts the human mind in various ways. It might be hard to understand the power of color for the psychology of branding. Bright colors grab the attention and the customers are potentially inspired for impulsive buys. The softer tones can inspire a great sense of brand loyalty and trust.
- Blue is considered a stable, reliable, and calm color
- Red is a powerful shade that demands attention. Also, it can be a sign of danger or risk
- Green is for good luck and calmness
- Black is an eye-catching, cool and safe color. Also, it can be albeit a little too bossy at times
- White is an innocent and peaceful shade. It is useful to contrast with bold colors
- Orange is a striking and exciting color that some people consider a bland or vulgar shade
- Yellow is a positive, energetic, and bright color. There is a reason why McDonald’s gold bows elicit an emotional response in so many
- Purple is the deep thinking, mystery, and even spirituality shade
- Pink is a welcoming and loving color
When designing your visual identity and stance, consider the colors and their meaning in the branding. The color influences the decision-making of the customers. You can take advantage of your competitor by choosing an appropriate palette for your logo, website, and any other forms of communication.
Humans are not as evolved as we think. if we don’t seek the approval of our peers to impress others while displaying others in terms of power and symbol, then we don’t exist as of current times. The condition of humans is to seek status. You can integrate this attraction into your brand identity in various ways such as:
- Carefully consider the brand’s design. You can avoid anything that is too flashy or looks cheap. It might help you to attract attention from the consumers but it might fade away too quickly.
- Choose the words carefully when you are writing copy for your press release and website. A sophisticated but accessible vernacular will denote an air of reliability and class.
- Periodically update and adjust the offering to reflect the greatest and latest advancements in manufacturing and technology. Here you don’t need to reinvent the wheel. Just take a leaf from Apple’s book to convince people to line up outside the stores overnight even for the basic product updates.
- Make your brand synonymous with excellence. You can do so by delivering consistently great results. For example, most customers will buy Adidas or Nike shoes rather than a cheaper competitor. It is because they prefer quality over price.
Next time when you are in public in your leisure time you can take a look around. You will see that people passing by you are walking billboards. They might be wearing different brands to show off their status symbol. It is just about catching their psychology for branding your business.
Creating An Experience
Above all, brand psychology must be able to create an experience for users whether offline or online. This psychology of branding is for Generation Z and millennials. They value the experience of the product instead of results or functionality. It is a combination of all techniques as mentioned above. To touch the psychology of your customers, you have to make them feel something from your brand.
People don’t prefer efficiency any longer. They prefer accessibility and ease of use. It means that you should not be overly reliant on AI or tech whatever your business model is. There is no denying fact that technology matters but losing sight of what matters to the customer can be a great loss.
The customers of your product or service are not in a need of a professional or mechanical delivery, but they are looking for something that makes them feel your brand. It makes them willing to take your product or service throughout the world. It means you have created brand loyalty with your customers.
You can build your offering by emphasizing web design, packaging, interaction, etc. around the desire of the customers. Now you know that psychology plays an important role in branding your business.
Psychology Of Branding – Understand The Customer’s Psychology
Understanding the psychology of your customers requires knowledge of psychology subjects. By using psychology, you can understand the needs and wants of your customers. Once you have understood the psychology of your customers, you can brand your business in a way to create a relationship of brand loyalty. Hence, your customers will not leave you even in the hard times.
You see people around you walking wearing different brands and holding the latest smartphones in their hands. What are they? Walking billboards. If a person can wear Adidas or Nike shoes and hold a Samsung or Apple’s latest smartphones, then how is that possible that the person is not wearing your brand’s shirt, trousers, scarf, and accessories. For this purpose, you will have to brand your business according to the psychology of your customers.